Adjustment of Status

Contact The Law Office of Joy E. Rothenberger in Pembroke Pines, Tampa & Fort Lauderdale, FL for Guidance on The Path to Residency or Citizenship

Adjustment of status allows a qualified person to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR) without having to leave the United States to be interviewed. Depending on the circumstances, a person may be required to be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or another LPR. There are also conditional residency cards for non-citizen spouses that have been married less than 2 years on the date of the interview, as well as immigration-related advantages and disadvantages to getting married in the U.S. or a foreign country. If you have questions about how to obtain LPR status and U.S. citizenship, a knowledgeable lawyer can help you through the process.

I will answer all of your questions about you or your spouse becoming a citizen or getting a green card. My firm is The Law Office of Joy E. Rothenberger, LLC, and is located in Pembroke Pines & Tampa, Florida. To schedule an initial 30 minute consultation to discuss your questions and how I can help, contact me online or call 954-450-1213.


When filing for an adjustment of status, green card or other immigration document, it is important to fully complete the necessary paperwork on time and attend the necessary interviews or hearings. If you do not do these things, your application will likely be denied. This could result in having to start all over with the immigration process and for some could even mean appearing before an immigration judge in removal proceedings.. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) has become much stricter in enforcing applicable deadlines in recent years.

Getting it done right the first time is why hiring a lawyer to help you is so important. When you hire my office, I will make sure everything is in order. I will make sure that the necessary paperwork is properly completed, that deadlines are met, that any required supporting documentation accompanies your application and that no necessary interviews or hearings are missed.

I will also serve as your safety net in that USCIS or the applicable agency will send receipts, appointments notices,request for evidence, etc., to the address they have on file for you as well as the my office. I will also notify you when I receive any correspondence from USCIS to ensure that you have also received your copy. Together, we can be sure that you meet all requirements to continue your adjustment process.



Now that you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) you are one step away from becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen. You can apply for naturalization after have been an LPR for 5 years. However, if you became an LPR through marriage and are still married you need only wait 3 years to apply. There are other qualifications and strict guidelines that must be met before applying and not everyone will qualify. If you have ever been arrested you should contact my office before applying for naturalization. As an experienced attorney I know the issues that can delay and possibly prevent you from becoming a US Citizen.

There are conditional residency cards for non-citizen spouses as well as immigration-related advantages and disadvantages to getting married in the U.S. or a foreign country. As an experienced attorney I can address these issues with you.

With my help, we can streamline and speed up the residency and/or citizenship process related to marriage by getting things done efficiently in a timely manner. For more information about status adjustment or applying for the documents you need, my office can help. Contact my office online or by calling 954-450-1213.